How to Tell if You Need Braces
While many of us dream of having a set of perfectly straight pearly whites, unfortunately, our smiles tend to be more on the wonky side. Of course, that isn’t necessarily a problem. Part of the beauty of life is that we are all different from each other. When it comes to our teeth, they are different sizes, different shapes and they grow differently. While some teeth may be more aligned, others may be crooked. What you need to know, however, is whether your misaligned teeth may result in oral health problems. You may well know if you want adult braces for cosmetic reasons, but do you also need to straighten them to protect your oral health?
Signs That You Might Need Braces
If you need braces, there is a good chance that you might be aware of it. It could be that your teeth aren’t perfectly straight, that your bite feels off, or that you just don’t like how your teeth look. However, it’s just as easy to ignore the signs. After all, they can vary depending on your age and overall health. To help put you on straight and narrow, here are some signs to look out for that could indicate you need braces:
- Crooked teeth – the most commonly noticed sign that you might need braces is often visibly crooked or crowded teeth which cause you embarrassment.
- Difficulty brushing – when teeth are crooked, crowded or misaligned, it can be difficult to brush and floss in between them.
- Cheek biting – if you find that you frequently accidentally bite your cheek or tongue, it could be caused by an underbite or overbite.
- Mispronunciation – if you find it difficult to pronounce certain sounds, it could be caused by your tongue’s position under your teeth.
- Noisy jaw – misaligned teeth can cause your jaw to click or make noises when you first wake up or when you eat.
- Fatigued jaw – if you feel pain or fatigue on your jawline after eating, it could be due to extra stresses exerted upon it due to the position of your teeth.
- Mouth breathing – if you have to breathe through your mouth regularly instead of your nose, it could be caused by a development issue in your teeth or jaw.
How Can Adult Braces Help?
First and foremost, if you don’t like the way your teeth look because they are crooked or crowded, braces can most certainly offer an excellent solution. They use constant pressure to move several teeth at once, often in different directions, and work to straighten your smile. However, adult braces are worn for far more than cosmetic reasons. In fact, while you may want braces to improve your self-confidence, they are also going to improve your oral health. Straightening your teeth will enable you to care for them more effectively and eat and talk more comfortably. And, by being able to brush and floss your teeth effectively, you can help to keep decay and further dental problems at bay.
How Much Braces Cost for Adults
Whatever your motivations for straightening your teeth, you’re probably asking yourself how much braces cost in Woden. The answer is that it will depend on the type of braces and how much your teeth need to be moved to achieve the required result. You’ll also need to consider how quickly you want to straighten your teeth. Conventional braces are less expensive and more suited to very complex cases. However, clear aligners are more expensive but deliver faster results.
It’s certainly worth noting that, while expensive and time-consuming, braces have a high success rate and deliver many oral health benefits. As well as having a straighter smile, by investing in adult braces, you can prevent the discomfort and cost of future oral health problems.
When to Visit Your Canberra Dentist
While for children, the ideal time to visit an orthodontist is when adult teeth start to grow; once you’re an adult, the sooner, the better. You’re never too old for braces, and putting off treatment will only further impact your oral health and your self-esteem. By visiting your Woden orthodontist, you can correct your bite, restore your oral health and get the straight smile you’ve always dreamed of.