Adult Braces in Canberra
If you struggle with imperfect teeth, you are certainly not alone. They may stick out, be overcrowded or misaligned and can make you feel less than your best. And, not only do crooked and crowded teeth affect how you look, they affect how you eat. If your teeth don’t meet correctly when you bite, then they aren’t as good at doing their job. What’s more, when your teeth are wonky, it’s much harder to clean in between them, which means that they’re much more likely to suffer from further damage and decay.
Fortunately, however, you don’t have to carry on feeling self-conscious about the way your teeth look. While you may think of braces being used to straighten children’s teeth, they aren’t reserved solely for teenagers. In fact, today, more and more adults are turning to braces to get their smiles back on track. While it’s better to straighten teeth as soon as possible, braces can make a significant difference no matter how old you are. What’s more, our adult teeth tend to be healthier than they once were as we have access to improved dental care and prevention measures. So, whether you want to improve how your smile looks or how your teeth work, adult braces may just well be the solution you’re looking for.
How do Adult Braces Work?
Adult braces have changed a lot since the days of the conventional train-track style metal braces that you might remember from your youth. These days there is a huge amount of choice, with discreet options available to give you the privacy you need. And, as well as being less noticeable, today’s adult braces are smaller and more comfortable. The options available to you include:
- Coloured braces – while if you have conventional braces, you can still have stainless steel brackets, you can also upgrade to gold. And the wires don’t have to be boring, if you want to show off your personality you can pick coloured wires and elastics.
- Natural brackets – if you are on the other side of the fence and would prefer to straighten your teeth discreetly, you still don’t have to opt for metal brackets for conventional braces. Tooth-coloured ceramic brackets can be used instead, so they blend in with your teeth.
- Invisible braces – amazingly you don’t even have to opt for brackets and wires. Invisible braces use clear plastic aligners to straighten your teeth, which give you an almost imperceptible way of straightening your teeth.
Regardless of which type of adult braces you opt for, braces are an incredibly versatile orthodontic treatment that can move several teeth at once, often in different directions, to straighten your smile. The braces apply constant pressure on your teeth over time so that they slowly move and then new bone forms to hold them in their new position. However, while all braces aim to do the same job, there are certainly advantages and disadvantages to the various types.
The Benefits of Clear Aligners
Clear aligners offer several advantages over their traditional counterparts, not least because they are such a discreet orthodontic treatment option. But, they don’t just look great, they’re also great at straightening teeth. If you opt for clear braces, a scan will be taken of your teeth and computer models used to work out the required set of movements. Clear aligners are then made, each one designed for each step in the process.
While not suitable for every case, such as severe misalignments, clear aligners are a popular choice for straightening teeth. They offer patients the benefits of being:
- Invisible – clear braces were a breakthrough in the orthodontic field when they were invented back in 1997. In contrast to obvious metal brackets and wires, the clear plastic trays are almost invisible when you smile, making them a highly discreet way of achieving a straight smile.
- Removable – while it’s important for you to keep your aligners firmly in place for the majority of the day, and night, you can easily take the trays out. Not only does that mean that you can eat what you like without fear of breaking your adult braces, but you can clean your teeth properly and ensure you maintain your oral hygiene.
- Customised – with clear aligners, you don’t have metal brackets attached and tightened regularly, instead, you have a set of trays that have personally been designed for you. What’s more, you are able to see each stage of your treatment on the computer as well as the end result, every step of the way is carefully planned for you.
- Comfortable – it will always feel a little strange to wear braces and forcing your teeth to move does cause some level of discomfort. However, as you have a set of clear aligners that are personalised for your treatment plan, they can make smaller but more consistent movements. Metal braces, on the other hand, relax over time and are often over-tightened at your appointment to account for it.
- Fast – as clear aligners are a one-piece solution, they are able to provide the required force to your teeth as a whole rather than metal braces that move each tooth individually. This combined with the type of force used to move the teeth generally makes the process faster. What’s more, you will need less frequent visits to your dentist, which gives you more time to get on with your life.
As clear braces are such a popular choice of adult braces, at Acacia Dental, we offer two different types; Invisalign and MasterCare. This gives our patients more choice and can help them manage the cost of clear braces. What’s more, the Woden practice is fortunate to have its own Primescan dental CAD/CAM scanner. The in-house technology means that your clear aligners can be designed without any impressions being taken of your teeth. The scan is used to determine the forces required to slowly move your teeth to their new positions. Opting for a Canberra dentist with the right experience and technology helps to reduce the cost of clear aligners and ensure you get amazing results.
The Advantages of Invisalign
Invisalign is the industry-leading provider of clear braces, with over 6 million people around the world choosing the brand to transform their smiles. As the first provider of clear aligners, the company has spent decades working on developing its product. Today, the aligners are made of Invisalign’s patented SmartTrack material and use advanced technology to offer patients several benefits over other clear aligners:
- Faster results – Invisalign’s SmartTrack material is tighter fitting than other clear aligners and retains its force over time. As continuous corrective pressure is placed on each tooth, aligners can often be changed every week instead of every couple of weeks, making treatment time up to twice as fast.
- More comfortable – while the SmartTrack material fits tightly, it is also highly flexible. This means it maintains its grip on your teeth while allowing you to talk and move comfortably. And, as the aligner stays firmly in place, it won’t rub against your mouth.
- Less painful – it can cause some discomfort when your teeth are shifted. However, as other clear braces lose force over time, extra pressure is added to compensate. With Invisalign, however, the pressure will only be as much as needed and will remain constant over time.
By opting for Invisalign, you are choosing years of research and proven success. The SmartTrack material conforms to tooth morphology, retains its force, yet offers you a flexible and comfortable fit. And, while Invisalign may cost you more than other brands, you are investing in decades of research, proven results and faster treatment time.
The Cost of Adult Braces
Determining the cost of adult braces depends on a lot of factors. First and foremost, it comes down to your individual circumstances. That means how much work will be required to move your teeth to the required positions. The lowest cost for adult braces is using conventional braces, and in some circumstances, these will be the best option to achieve what you need. The cost of clear aligners is higher, but with faster results and, in turn, shorter treatment times. And, while the cost of Invisalign might be higher still, it again delivers results faster along with several other benefits. To find out which option is best for you, you will need to seek the advice of your Canberra dentist.
You will also want to give some thought to not only the direct cost of adult braces but the indirect costs too. You may need to take time off work for appointments, travel to and from appointments and ensure you have everything needed to keep your teeth and braces as clean as a whistle throughout.
When it comes down to the cost of adult braces, you need to consider your situation and what you are trying to achieve. Also, you need to think about what is most important to you and your quality of life during treatment, be it keeping costs as low as possible, ensuring your treatment is discrete or achieving your new smile as quickly as possible.
Why Choose Acacia Dental for Adult Braces?
Overcrowded and misaligned teeth can have a significant impact on your life. By having orthodontic treatment in Woden, you can correct your bite, have a healthy mouth and get the winning smile you’ve always wanted. At Acacia Dental, we have a huge amount of experience in fitting conventional braces and clear aligners, meaning that whatever your situation, we can help you to straighten your smile. What’s more, we have access to industry-leading brands, high-quality materials and state-of-the-art technology to ensure that you always receive the best possible care.
If you’d like to straighten your smile, get in touch with our Woden practice today to book your free consultation.
Book a FREE Consultation
Simply add your details and a member of our staff will call you back. Or go to our online booking system by clicking on the online appointments button.